Friday, July 25, 2008

Sticks and Stones.. June 2007

Ok, now I am sure that we have all been in a situation in which somebody has said something or called you something that was a bit offensive. But why? I know that we have all heard the childhood adage, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.' You are the only person that can determine whether or not a word/saying is hurtful. There was a discussion about this after the whole Imus situation. I think that children today are less phased by supposedly hurtful/vulgar words. I know that I am. Words only have the power to hurt if you GIVE them that power. Granted some words can be spoken harshly, but I think the tone of speech is more hurtful than the actual words said. Anything said in anger is hurtful, but those same words said in jest are not as hurtful.
On another note, I had a conversation about the fact that I allow my children to use any word they would like as long as they know the meaning of it and they are not allowed to use the word in any derrogatory context. I guess this comes from my liberal "out of the box" parenting style, but I don't see the harm in it. Now this doesn't mean that my children are using these words every other word, but occassionally you will hear them same 'sh1t' or '@ss' and I don't see the big deal. Why are these words considered "bad"? Any answers??? I have even looked up the etymology on these words and could not find an answer. Apparently a lot of these words....ie....sh1t, @ss, f*ck, etc have all been commonly used without the vulgarity behind it through out history. Hmmmm another one of society's f*ck ups....(sorry for the coding...not sure if myspace will allow it with the actual typed wording)

No comments:

Post a Comment